A parenting plan is one of the most important parts of a divorce or separation for unmarried people with children. The Washington family courts take a strong interest in child custody and may act on the child's behalf if the judge or court does not believe the couple is acting in the child's best interests.

Ideally, the parenting plan will be agreed upon by the couple and they may not need the court to intervene. However, if the parents cannot agree on a parenting plan, they may have to take the issue to court. If you have concerns over the parenting plan make sure your interests are represented by an experienced Washington child custody attorney. Contact the Law Offices of Alesha Struthers today.

Child Custody in Washington

Washington does not officially use the term “custody.” Both parents share responsibility for their children, including care and financial support. Time spent with each parent, vacation and visitation, and other basic arrangements are provided for in a parenting plan. 

Enforcing Parenting Plans

Just because a parenting plan is in place does not necessarily mean your ex will follow the rules. If the other parent is not following the terms of the parenting plan by not allowing visits, making it difficult to pick up the child, or scheduling conflicts, you may have to take action to enforce the terms of the agreement. 

Parenting Plan Mediation in Pierce, King, and Snohomish Counties

I am a Certified Mediator Practitioner from the Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish and Island Counties. As a mediator, I have helped families reach agreements that are specific to their individual needs as an alternative to dealing with the issues in court. Through family law mediation, I have helped individuals mediate family court issues, including parenting plan modifications

Contact the Law Offices of Alesha Struthers

If you are having trouble talking to your ex- about parenting plans and child custody in Washington, contact the Law Offices of Alesha Struthers. We can help resolve child custody disputes through mediation or taking your case to court.

With offices in Tukwila, Mill Creek, and Tacoma, we can provide parenting plan and custody representations for individuals and families. Contact the Law Offices of Alesha Struthers today for a free consultation to get personalized recommendations for your case.