Non-Custodial Parent Posting Pictures of Kids Online?

Posted by Alesha Struthers Jan 18, 2023

Non-Custodial Parent Posting Pictures of Kids Online?

Parenting after a divorce can often be difficult. You may not know which Washington state parental rights you have. The Washington State Family Court  aims to make navigating your new life easier. What happens if the non-custodial parent is posting pictures of the kids online? Can the parties address this in advance?

In this article, you'll learn more about:

  • How both parents can address social media and pictures of the children in advance
  • Whether Washington state family law says anything about this situation
  • What happens if you change your mind
  • What options you may have if the non-custodial parent refuses to follow the temporary or permanent order.

This article is intended for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended as legal advice. If you need legal advice on what happens if the non-custodial parent is posting pictures of your shared kids online in Washington state, The Law Offices of Alesha Struthers offers free consultations.

What Does a Parenting Plan  Cover? And Why Does It Matter Here?

Parenting plans  are court orders that explain what can and can't do during each parent's parenting time . The creation of these plans generally occurs during mediation. The Washington State Family Court system encourages parents to come to an agreement on how their children should be raised, but also how to handle conflict and any questions that may arise. One question that parents should ask is “Can I post photos of my children on social media?”

This question is particularly important if one parent is eager to post photos of the kids on social media and the other parent does not want photos of the children posted online on any platform. In the scenario we have for our article, it is the non-custodial parent who posts the photo of the kids online. Yet, it could be the custodial parent who does it and the non-custodial parents who does not want it done.

How Can Mediation Help Parents Resolve This Issue?

Mediation is a tool used to help two parties settle their differences and avoid trial. What happens if you and your ex-partner are not able to come to an agreement?  If this happens, the judge decides. This means that neither you nor the other parent gets a say about the matter. Since the judge doesn't know the ins and outs of your familial relationship or why each of you really feel the way you do, they may rule in a way that one of you thinks isn't in best of your child. It is best to work towards a compromise in mediation to ensure that both parents have a say in the parenting plan final order .

RelatedIs Mediation Required in Snohomish County?

What Does Washington State Family Law?

While there is nothing in the Washington State RCW , that doesn't mean that you can post photos of your children online without any repercussions. The legal system prefers that parents come to an agreement on these types of topics. It is one that can should discuss and decide upon during mediation. Mediation is a required step when forming a Washington State parenting plan .

What If You Change Your Mind?

Circumstances change, and with them, your opinion might change, too. What can you do? If you decide that the other party posting photos, or photos being posted by either parent isn't something you're comfortable with, and you have valid reasons to modify the parenting plan to reflect this, you can request a modification of the parenting plan in Washington State . A skilled family law attorney can help you draft the new proposed parenting plan .

If you have questions about modifying the parenting plan , or need advice on how to start the process, the Law Offices of Alesha Struthers can help you! Schedule your free initial consultation today and let us see how we can help you.

Related: 4 Top Reasons to Modify a Parenting Plan in Washington

Other Parent Not Following the Parenting Plan?

Sometimes parents will decide that they don't want to adhere to the parenting plan  that they agreed to. Once the  parenting plan  becomes finalized, it's a court order and must be followed. If it states that you cannot post photos of your children on social media, and it can be proven that the other parent is, they may face legal action since this is a direct violation of a court order .

What Options Do You Have?

If you find photos on the other parent's social media, you should attempt to work with them. Remind them what the parenting plan states about photos of the children and social media. And document everything. Creating a detailed record of the times that a violation happens, can be very helpful if it become necessary to move forward from a legal perspective. If they continue to post photos of the children online, you may file for contempt of court.

The Law Offices of Alesha Struthers

If you need help with mediation, filing your parenting plan, modifying a parenting plan in Washington State , or filing contempt of court  for a violation of the parenting plan , the Law Offices of Alesha Struthers can help you. Contact us today to schedule your free initial consultation and get your parenting plan questions answered. Ms. Struthers is passionate about helping her clients get the outcomes they deserve. Contact us now to let her get started helping you today!

Disclaimer: This publication is not legal advice. It is intended as legal information only. For legal advice specific to your needs, contact the Law Offices of Alesha Struthers, PS at 800-972-0411.

Posted January 2023.